If we ask our PE clients what they find most useful in using the Talmix marketplace for their on-demand talent, speed is nearly always the first answer. Roberto tells us more about why PE firms want things to happen fast, and how he can deliver that speed to transform finance functions.
Q. When you’re at a networking event, how do you describe your independent career status, and where you focus your work?
Bringing a solid experience as Finance executive in public international companies, and as CFO, COO, M&A in a successful turnaround for a PE backed business, I offer my support as an independent professional or serving on an interim basis.
Q. What are the specific benefits that you, as an independent, offer to the operating teams/portfolio company leadership? How do you explain the value your expertise brings?
With a “hands-on” and decisive management style, partnering with the business, I have a proven track record converting plans into actions and delivering goals, reducing the complexity of the business, adopting best practices, improving the efficiency, and streamlining processes.
When I face a new challenge, I feel as a rock climber in front of an undiscovered mountain while he’s trying to quickly find the path and to figure out timing, effort, and the right equipment to reach the top.
Q. Why do you think there is increasing demand for independent expertise with PE operating teams?
If I should find a word to describe the approach of PE firms, I would use "QUICK". Quick in planning …. in the execution … in catching business’ opportunities. An independent professional is a perfect match, offering specific skills and adapting quickly to the specific project requirements.
Q. Describe a recent or successful assignment in terms of scope, duration and any particular highlights in the outcomes.
My last assignment was as interim CFO in a recent acquisition by a US Private Equity firm. In the first 12 months, I led the transition plan from a business run by private entrepreneurs to a business run by a team of managers and part of PE portfolio. I reviewed governance rules, I assessed the organization and the internal controls’ structure, I set up proper management system, I led an improvement plan delivering +50% EBITDA increase in the first year.
Some of my other achievements in PE-backed business are:
- Transformation from a $8M EBITDA local business, to a market leader in EMEA and a growth to $80M EBITDA
- M&A - 17 acquisitions closed in 36 months for a total turnover of $200M – $35M EBITDA – leading the whole process form the deal scouting and origination, to the due diligence process and closing, and the business integration process.
- Digital transformation: implementation projects of ERPs , CRM , BI tools
- Finance reorganization from local independent teams (100+ associates) to a corporate team with centralized functions
Q. What advice would you give to anyone about to embark on an independent career as to how they can provide the best results for a client, while fulfilling their own career path?
- Know your customer: mindset, strategies, goals, priorities, and expectations
- Behave like a business partner, not like a consultant
- Don’t be focused on the assigned tasks only, go beyond them!
Roberto is an example of the depth and quality of talent with finance skillsets and experience available on the Talmix marketplace to lead projects and perform interim roles. If you'd like to find talent like this, then post a project today. We can also build talent pools to provide a direct sourcing solution for your portfolio's ongoing needs.