Transformation projects are by definition complex and require a unique set of skills and experience. Using independent business talent to manage these projects allows increased flexibility and as Lorenzo highlights, a different mindset from when you're part of an external team, as you become at one with the client.
1. When you’re at a networking event, how do you describe your independent career status, and where you focus your work?
I help industrial companies, PEs and consulting firms in commercial due diligence and transformation projects, with the latter often related to M&As and other extraordinary activities. Sometimes I also do more “classic” management consulting projects related to operational improvements, PMO and commercial strategy.
2. What are the specific benefits that you, as an independent, offer to the operating teams/portfolio company leadership? How do you explain the value your expertise brings?
I bring a consultative, structured approach together with the flexibility of being able to operate effectively along the PE and portfolio company value chain (supporting PE on both due diligence and post-acquisition phase)
3. Why do you think there is increasing demand for independent expertise with PE operating teams? Increasing demand for independent professionals comes from the need for PE to have an internal flexible structure, while securing a portfolio of professional services which can cover the vast range of expertise needed to successfully run a complex portfolio of companies. Independent professionals also guarantee, more than consulting companies, in-project flexibility, usually having a broader mandate in terms of functions and responsibilities.
4. Describe a recent or successful assignment in terms of scope, duration and any particular highlights in the outcomes.
Recently I supported, as a transformation manager, a company operating in the food & beverage industry. After performing an operational due diligence of the company, which led to the acquisition of the company by a main PE fund, I have now been involved for six months in multiple streams related to the buy & build strategy of the fund. Some of the streams included cost reduction analysis, IT transformation, Capex monitoring and the definition of business cases for carve-out. Despite the economic turmoil at a global level, we got great results in maintaining a good marginality level without compromise for the final clients in terms of service level, while performing an intense transformation of the business (e.g. IT migration, stock reduction, production capacity expansion).
5. What advice would you give to anyone about to embark on an independent career as to how they can provide the best results for a client, while fulfilling their own career path?
It’s crucial to have a flexible mindset, since as an independent you will be much more likely to be exposed to a much higher degree of variability compared to a corporate or consulting company job, where projects are usually pretty standardized. As an independent, not only might you see a lot of different industries, but you will also work side by side with the client, so having to get used to company culture and way of work.
Talmix has outstanding transformation talent on its network globally, able to design, manage and implement programmes at functional and cross-function levels to deliver on the most taxing of requirements. If you'd like to find talent like Lorenzo, then post a project today, or talk to us about building talent pools of transformation talent to address all your portfolio requirements.